Delicious Ham and Potato Soup
This soup is AMAZING! Marisa makes this on a regular basis, and everyone in the family loves it! She originally got the recipe from Allrecipes.com, and is reprinted here for you with permission from them. The recipe was contributed to their site by a member who goes by ELLIE11. This recipe has a rating of 5 out of 5 stars, and has well over 6,000 reviews from readers. You can find the original post on their site HERE. Thanks again to Allrecipes.com for their permission to reprint this for you!
- 3½ cups peeled and diced potatoes
- ⅓ cup diced celery
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup diced cooked ham
- 3¼ cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.